INCREASED INVESTMENT IN MENTAL HEALTH
How are you all doing? I hope you are having a good time enjoying the weekend.
How are you? I guess you read that and answered silently within you 'I am fine'.
Today is World Mental Health Day. Again I ask you "How are you"? Are you fine? Or that's an answer we all have come to adopt even when we are dying inside.
World Mental Health Day is observed on 10 October every year, with the overall objective of raising awareness of mental health issues around the world and mobilizing effort in support of mental health. The theme for this year's World Mental Health Day campaign is Increased investment in mental health.
Every human being has mental health and it's just as important as our physical health. Mental health refers to cognitive, behavioral, and emotional well-being. It is all about how people think, feel, and behave. People sometimes use the term "mental health" to mean the absence of a mental disorder.
Mental health problems can cover a broad range of disorders but the common characteristics are that they all affect a person's personality, thought processes, and social interactions.
Mental health disorders occur in a variety of forms, and symptoms can overlap, making disorder hard to diagnose. However, some common disorders affect people of all ages. They include;
1. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) This is characterized by an inability to remain focused on a task, impulsive behavior, excessive inability to sit still. This is commonly diagnosed In children, and can occur in adults too. So, You see that child You have labeled stubborn or possessed because they can't contain themselves? Think again! Knowledge is power.
2. Anxiety/ Panic disorder: is defined by intermittent and repeated attacks of an intense fear of something and happening or a sense of impending doom.
3. Bipolar disorder: this mental health condition causes an extreme mood swing like emotional highs (mania) and lows (depression).
4. Depression: covers a wide range of conditions, typically defined by a persistent bad mood and lack of interest in pursuing daily life.
5. Schizophrenia: is not as commonly thought, solely about hearing voices or having multiple personalities. Instead, it is defined by a lack of ability to distinguish reality.
There is no single cause of mental health disorders; instead, they can be caused by a mixture of biological, psychological, and environmental factors. However the case may be, requires medical attention.
The importance of mental health cannot be overemphasized. Mental health helps determine how we handle stress, relate to others, and make choices. Mental health is important at every stage in life, from childhood and adolescence through adulthood. Especially in these times when the world is raising a voice against injustice and fighting for #blacklivesmatter and in West Africa, Nigerians are stemming together to cry against police brutality and the injustice done to her citizens. People who occupy key positions in society, especially security personnel should be made to go through mental evaluation at all times.
Mental health awareness increases the chances of early intervention which can result in a fast recovery. Awareness reduces negative adjectives that have been set to describe people with mental illness. Mental illness should be seen as any other illness and these illnesses can be managed by treatment. Knowledge is power.
Photo credit: Dateline.ng
My earnest desire is to continue to see more people come to the awareness of mental health as we strive to live in wholeness and absolute mental health.
Have you ever experienced a mental breakdown you know anyone who might be experiencing any of mental illness? How was it or is it being handled? Share your experience with us in the comment section; you can go anonymous if you chose to. Waiting to read from you.
"You are beautiful because you let yourself feel, and that is a brave thing." Shinji Moon.